“How often do you have the opportunity to witness nine chefs and owners in the kitchen together? It is going to be interesting!. Hopefully the fireworks will be minimal!” said Nancy Craun, owner and founder of Taste of Blue Ridge Root to Table Culinary Series.
Taste of Blue Ridge is a community of owners, chefs, farmers and food retailers who are dedicated to serving the highest quality level of food using the best resources available.
“The community’s mission is to educate the consumer on how to take products from their farmer markets and backyard gardens hence “root origin” and turn them into award winning dishes and beverage cocktails. That is why Taste uses “root to table” to describe this foodie escape weekend,” said Nancy Craun, Owner and Founder of Taste of Blue Ridge.
Funded through a grant from Virginia Tourism, the first event weekend is on August 18th and 19th at the Hillbrook Inn and Spa . This culinary collaboration involves chefs from the Virginia counties of Loudoun, Clarke, Frederick, the City of Winchester, and Jefferson County in West Virginia.
Friday, August 18th at the Hillbrook Inn and Spa is a cocktail party combining Asian and Virginia cuisine and cocktails starting at 7 pm. “I had a great conversation with Chef Ming of China Town on the dish and cocktail he will feature,” said Craun.
“Nancy, He quickly sushi is not appropriate for the hot summer since it centers around fish and seafood which comes from cold waters. I would rather feature Vietnamese cuisine. Vietnam has done a beautiful job blending French cuisine into their Asian cuisine. The result being phenomenal, ” said Chan.
Friday night menu is:
- “Summer in Saigon with Vietnamese Pork Lettuce Wraps and Saigon Brow, a martini with an Asian influence by Owner/Chef Ming Chan of Chinatown in Winchester, VA.
- Owner Jeremy Throckmorton of Throx Market will give a different twist to the Virginia BBQ by featuring a smoked pastrami with homemade sauerkraut. Celebrating Virginia Craft Beer Month, guests will experience a “beertail” called Mitchelada.
- Chef Steve Ferrell of HIllbrook Inn ‘s Redbook Restaurant will offer a surprise signature tapa and cocktail for the evening.
Saturday, August 19th, is a dinner party with live music for the cocktail hour at the Redbook Restaurant located at the Hillbrook Inn and Spa. “The goal is to provide an unforgettable personal experience between chefs and the consumer with the chance to see first-hand how the Taste of Blue Ridge community of farmers and restaurants collaborates for the love of good food,” said Carissa Zannella, owner of Hillbrook Inn and Spa.
“Root to Table” Dinner Menu will be:
- First Course: Baked Rappahannock Oysters prepared by Chef John Lawrence from George’s Food and Spirits in Winchester, VA
- Second Course: Seasonal salad featuring Chef’s Garden and Macintosh Farm produce prepared by Chef Steve Ferrell from the Redbook Restaurant in Charles Town, West Virginia
- Third Couse: Locally grown, organic Heritage Breed Beef prepared by Chef Lawrence Kocurek from Gentle Harvest in Upperville, VA
- Entrée: Mangalitsa Pork, Porchetta and Guanciale Summer Vegetable Gratin with an Heirloom Tomato Jus prepared by Chef Erik Foxx-Nettnin from Magnolia’s at the Mill in Purcellville, VA
- Dessert: Peach tart with peaches harvested by Macintosh Farm prepared by Chef Susan Dolinar from Nibblins Winchester, VA
“Gentle Harvest and Ayrshire Farms are proud to be a part of the Blue Ridge Root to Table Program. As part of the Gentle Harvest Mission, we have a social responsibility to connect our communities to where there food comes from. Through our partnership with the Blue Ridge Root to Table program, we have been given greater strength to carry on our mission, with the help of partnering restaurants, farms, and businesses,” said Robert Doane, Marketing and Events Specialist – Gentle Harvest & Ayrshire Farm.
Tickets for the Hillbrook Inn and Sap events may be purchased at TasteofBlueRidge.Eventbrite.com. Price range is from $25 for the cocktail party to $95 for the dinner. Beverage, sales tax, and gratuity are additional.
Hillbrook inn and Spa is offering 20% off the cost of overnight accommodations.. There will also be a $25 credit toward any spa experience. The promo code is 2ROOT2017.
“The dress code for all events is casual. It is rare for guests to have an intimate conversation with chefs about their passion for food. This is the goal of our “Root to Table” events. We want everyone to be relaxed and enjoy a truly authentic experience,” said Craun.
Don’t forget Nibblins Cake Festival and Cupcake Gala on August 12th and 13th!